Can you believe our house started out looking like this?
Wednesday was beautiful weather here on Star Valley Ranch (we melted all of the snow from the week before – ha!), and we were able to schedule the painter. Our house now looks like this.
I’m loving our navy blue front doors!
Here’s the backside…..
Mmmm, clean and fresh.
We let the painter over-spray onto the foundation. We have plans for it. Read on to find out more. We also had him spray the top deck railing with the leftover paint. It was still red from the previous owners, and although it doesn’t look great still, it will keep us from pulling out our hair until we can replace it next summer. The red shows through a little up there, but at least it’s not bright red!
Won’t these doors look wonderful at Christmas-time with some fabulous wreaths? I’m excited about that!
I have to tell you, after doing all the remodeling ourselves (Dave is a builder by profession, so we are pretty confident in his skills), it was HEAVEN to sit back and let someone else take over for a day. Randall Reese Painting, Inc. did the work. If you need a job done, you can call them @ (307)885-9636.
Many people have asked us, “So what other colors are you painting your house?”
We reply, “That’s it. Just white.” And they look at the house again and I’m betting they are wondering why.
There are two reasons, one being that on our top deck, had some “coming together” issues. With the gambrel roof outline, the trim butted into the windows in funny places, and we didn’t want to emphasize those with two different colors.
Number two, and the most important reason, was just because I love white farmhouses. They never get tired or old, and I would rather have a classic than a trendy home (although that’s unavoidable to a certain extent). Color, while I love it, dates homes faster than anything else. Luckily, it’s also the easiest fix, so I say go with your heart.
My heart lies with white.
What’s next, you say?
Here’s our to-do list:
1) Major yard/garage clean-up to get ready for winter (you wouldn’t believe how many tools we have stacked in our garage) this Saturday.
2) Install new garage door (it’s in the box laying in front of our house in the bottom picture).
3) Soffit and Facia….don’t know when this will happen-
4) Cover the foundation with rock….it will be some type of dark gray, like this picture (Alpine Ledgestone). We want it to match our roof.
5) New decks and some pillars next summer, we hope. I haven’t talked much about the plans for pillars yet, but more details will be given in future posts!
6) Landscaping: I’m really wanting to work some natural rock walkways in instead of regular sidewalks…..ideas are still being thrown around.
7) We want to dig up our very tattered, paved driveways and pour concrete in their place. Waayyyyy down the road? We’ll see. I didn’t think we would be this far on our house, so you never know!